From car crashes to dog attacks, various types of accidents happen to people every day. But when these accidents are due to the carelessness or negligence of another person, then the injured person may be entitled to financial compensation by filing a personal injury lawsuit.
If you find yourself in this situation, then your first step should be speaking to a personal injury lawyer. In this article, we’re sharing more about what a personal injury lawyer does, and what to expect from the legal process when filing a claim:
Personal injury cases
Personal injury lawyers handle a wide variety of cases. In simple terms, the plaintiff in a personal injury case is a person who was injured due to the negligent actions of the defendant, which may be a person, corporation, or other legal entity. These cases may involve:
- Slip-and-fall accidents: Property owners have a duty to ensure their premises are free of hazards or have appropriate signage around dangerous areas. For example, if you slipped and injured yourself in a grocery store due to slippery floors that lacked signage, then you may have a valid slip-and-fall case.
- Medical malpractice: People entrust their physicians to maintain an adequate standard of care during treatment. When this standard of care is breached and negligence occurs, serious injuries - and even death - can be the unfortunate result.
- Car and truck collisions: While you can resolve a car or truck collision claim without the help of an attorney, hiring a personal injury lawyer will greatly increase your chances of recovering the compensation you deserve.
- Nursing home negligence: Elderly people are among the most vulnerable patients. Unfortunately, they may not be able to advocate for themselves when facing abuse or neglect at a nursing home. With the help of a personal injury lawyer, you and your family can hold negligent parties accountable.
- Dangerous drugs and defective products: The medications and products we use every day must meet strict safety standards. When a company fails to meet these standards or neglects to do enough testing, consumers may be harmed.
What you can expect from your personal injury lawyer
Your personal injury lawyer will fight on your behalf and seek the compensation that you are entitled to. After your initial consultation, here’s what you can expect from the process:
Filing a complaint with the court and serving it on the defendant marks the beginning of a lawsuit. Your attorney will handle this and file all necessary paperwork on your behalf.
After the complaint is filed, both the defendant and plaintiff will begin the discovery phase of the lawsuit. This enables both parties to obtain important information about the case, such as witness statements, photographs, and relevant documents.
The defendant may send you written requests for information (called “interrogatories”), which your personal injury lawyer will help you respond to. Your deposition may also be taken, and your attorney will be there to protect your rights and object to any inappropriate questions.
Settlement demand and trial
Once your attorney has enough information, he or she will likely put together a settlement demand that outlines your pain and suffering, and includes any financial losses you’ve suffered. If a settlement cannot be reached after negotiations, then your personal injury lawyer will take the case to trial to seek the compensation you deserve.
Have you been harmed due to someone else’s negligence? Contact our personal injury lawyer in Birmingham, AL
Don’t let wrongdoers get away with their negligent and careless actions. At Maxwell Tillman, our Birmingham-based personal injury lawyers are dedicated to seeking justice on behalf of injured victims.
We have a 97.7% success rate with personal injury cases, and there are no fees unless we win. Contact us today to schedule a consultation.